An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

December 31, 2016

The Last Sunset of 2016

     Earlier this week while laying awake in bed instead of sleeping, I started pondering my annual last sunset post. Thinking about 2016 I had trouble peering past a very gloomy pall cast over the whole year. I know exactly where this mood comes from, and I am sure many of you know as well. At this point I can no longer care who lost the election; it is who won that keeps me awake at night. With or without the U.S., the world seems to be heading into a time of great instability and chaos, and among other things, it worries me that Washington will be unstable, or worse, chaotic. I am also certain that there are some of you out there that are in complete disagreement with me politically, and are looking forward to the change. I'll be nice if you will.

     Still not sleeping, I realized that the big picture is completely out of my hands, and that there was much indeed to be personally thankful for in 2016. My son graduated high school with honors, and got accepted to the only university he wanted to attend. His first semester has gone well, and with his AP credits he is already a sophomore. My wife and I celebrated 25 years of marriage in October, and the whole family celebrated both of my parents' 80th birthdays. I still very much enjoy my job, I can still bike and kayak, and I had several transcendent trips this past year. I am also especially pleased that I am leaving 2016 with the same number of fingers that I started with (it was touch and go there for a time). All and all, not a bad year.


        For all of you I wish the best in 2017. May your year be filled with sleepful nights, joyous personal celebrations, and opportunities to see past things not in your control.

14 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Les. I look forward to your photos and writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Georgia! I hope you and your family have a happy new year as well.

      Delete
  2. Well said my friend. Happy New Year to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I predict more sticking and standing up together in 2017.

      Delete
  3. And to you. I have gone through exactly the same process as you on the 'big picture' being out of our hands, but the same sense of dread. This was more than a lost election by a long shot. Best of luck to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beverly, yes it is an adult lesson to learn to avoid stressing over the big picture, but so hard.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year. Let's hope for the best from 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping, Jason. Happy new year to you and your family as well.

      Delete
  5. Very good news in your personal life, Les...and, you're right, we do have to let the rest go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last sunset, lights going out all over Europe. Very hard to keep climbing back out of this scary time warp. But you are right; we can only control or have an effect on very little. I am thankful for family and friends, good health, living in a progressive city and having a garden to escape to when it all becomes too much. Best wishes to you and your family in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some make it very easy to worry and prejudge what the future holds. Lets just be optimistic and pray that those in charge made wise decisions. I'll take a cue from you and reflect on my many blessings with joy. Happy New Year Les! Vikki in VA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on 25 years of marriage and your paren's 80th birthday; thats a lot to be grateful for. I've disengaged from the political stuff for the time being; some wounds take longer to heal... I stay focus on what is close by, my immediate family, friends, and of course my garden! A lot of healing happens there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice that your son's college gave him credit for his AP scores. My daughter passed 5 AP tests but didn't receive any credit from her university. Ahhh... the joys of tuition! There is always something to be grateful for, even if we have to dig deeper to find it.

    ReplyDelete